Orange Cranberry Cake: A Delicious and Easy Recipe for Any Occasion
If you’re looking for a delicious dessert that’s perfect for the fall season, look no further than an orange cranberry cake. This cake is bursting with flavor and is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. The combination of tart cranberries and sweet orange makes for a perfect balance of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
One of the best things about this cake is how easy it is to make. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a delicious dessert ready in no time. The recipe typically calls for flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, orange zest, and fresh cranberries. Some variations may also include buttermilk or sour cream to add a bit of tanginess to the cake. Once baked, the cake is topped with a sweet glaze that perfectly complements the tartness of the cranberries.
Whether you’re looking for a dessert to serve at a holiday gathering or just want to treat yourself to something sweet, an orange cranberry cake is the perfect choice. With its delicious flavor and easy preparation, it’s sure to become a favorite in your household. So why not give it a try and see for yourself just how tasty this cake can be?
To make a delicious Orange Cranberry Cake, you will need several ingredients that work together to create a flavorful and moist cake. Here are the key ingredients you will need:
- All-Purpose Flour: This is the base of the cake and provides structure. Make sure you measure your flour properly, too much or too little can ruin the cake.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These are leavening agents that help the cake rise. Make sure to use the right amount of each to ensure the cake rises properly.
- Salt: Just a little helps balance out the sweetness and brings out the flavors of all of the other ingredients.
- Granulated Sugar and Brown Sugar: These sweeten the cake and add moisture. Brown sugar also adds a rich flavor to the cake.
- Unsalted Butter: This adds richness and flavor to the cake.
- Eggs: These provide structure and help the cake rise.
- Orange Juice and Fresh Orange Zest: These add a bright citrus flavor to the cake.
- Fresh Cranberries: These add a tart flavor and a pop of color to the cake.
- Buttermilk: This adds moisture and tanginess to the cake.
- Cinnamon: This adds warmth and depth of flavor to the cake.
To make the frosting, you will need:
- Unsalted Butter: This adds richness and flavor to the frosting.
- Powdered Sugar: This sweetens the frosting and helps it thicken.
- Fresh Orange Juice and Zest: These add a bright citrus flavor to the frosting.
- Milk or Sour Cream: This thins out the frosting and adds richness.
Make sure to gather all of your ingredients before starting to bake, and measure them out accurately to ensure the best results.
To make an Orange Cranberry Cake, you will need a few key pieces of equipment to ensure that your cake turns out perfectly. Here is a list of the equipment you will need:
To make the cake batter, you will need a mixer. You can use either a hand mixer or a stand mixer, depending on your preference. A stand mixer is more powerful and can make the mixing process quicker and easier. However, a hand mixer is more affordable and takes up less space in your kitchen.
A bundt pan is a specialty cake pan that is shaped like a ring with a hole in the center. It is the perfect pan to use for an Orange Cranberry Cake as it gives the cake a beautiful shape and allows it to cook evenly. Make sure to choose a bundt pan that is made from a high-quality material, such as aluminum or cast iron, to ensure that it lasts for years to come.
To prevent the cake from sticking to the pan, you will need to line the bundt pan with parchment paper. Parchment paper is a non-stick baking paper that is perfect for lining cake pans. It is also great for wrapping food and for use in a food processor.
Once your cake is baked and cooled, you will need a cake stand to display it on. A cake stand is a decorative plate or pedestal that is designed to hold a cake. It is a great way to show off your beautiful Orange Cranberry Cake and make it the centerpiece of your dessert table.
To make the cranberry orange sauce that goes on top of the cake, you will need a food processor. A food processor is a kitchen appliance that is used to chop, blend, or puree food. It is a great tool to have in your kitchen and can be used for a variety of different recipes.
Overall, these are the key pieces of equipment that you will need to make an Orange Cranberry Cake. With the right tools and a little bit of patience, you can create a delicious and beautiful cake that is sure to impress your friends and family.
To make a delicious Orange Cranberry Cake, you will need to follow a few simple preparation steps. Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare your cake batter by mixing together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture, alternating with milk until everything is well combined. Fold in the cranberries.
- Grease your bundt pan with cooking spray, then dust it with flour to prevent sticking. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth it out with an offset spatula.
- Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top of the cake starts to brown too quickly, cover it with foil.
- Once done, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
By following these preparation steps, you will have a delicious Orange Cranberry Cake that is perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
Baking the Cake
Now that you have prepared the batter, it’s time to bake the Orange Cranberry Cake. Follow these simple steps to ensure your cake turns out perfectly:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a 10-inch bundt cake pan or a 9-inch springform pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake, then invert the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.
It’s important to not overbake the cake, as it can dry out and become tough. Check the cake at the 50-minute mark and continue to bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
If you’re using a bundt cake pan, it’s important to properly grease the pan to ensure the cake comes out easily and in one piece. You can also dust the pan with flour after greasing it to further prevent sticking.
When checking the cake for doneness, be sure to insert the toothpick into the center of the cake, as this is the thickest part and will take the longest to bake.
With these tips, you’ll be able to bake a delicious and moist Orange Cranberry Cake that’s sure to impress your friends and family.
Creating the Orange Glaze
To create the perfect orange glaze for your cranberry cake, you will need a few simple ingredients. One of the main ingredients is powdered sugar. Powdered sugar is a must-have ingredient for a glaze because it dissolves easily and creates a smooth texture. You will also need milk to thin out the glaze and give it a creamy consistency.
To add flavor to the glaze, you can use vanilla extract. Vanilla extract will give the glaze a subtle, sweet flavor that complements the tangy cranberries and tart orange. Another option is to use Grand Marnier, an orange-flavored liqueur, to create a more complex and sophisticated glaze.
To make the glaze, start by combining powdered sugar and milk in a bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
To add flavor to the glaze, stir in a teaspoon of vanilla extract or a tablespoon of Grand Marnier. Make sure to taste the glaze and adjust the flavor as needed.
Once you have created the glaze, it’s time to add the orange flavor. To do this, zest an orange and add the zest to the glaze. Stir the glaze well to distribute the orange zest evenly.
Finally, drizzle the glaze over the cooled cranberry cake. You can use a spoon or a piping bag to apply the glaze. Let the glaze set for a few minutes before serving the cake.
In summary, creating an orange glaze for your cranberry cake is easy and requires only a few simple ingredients. Powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and Grand Marnier can be used to create a delicious and flavorful glaze. Adding orange zest to the glaze will give it a bright and refreshing flavor that complements the tart cranberries.
Now that your Orange Cranberry Cake is baked and cooled, it’s time to add the finishing touches. A delicious glaze is the perfect way to take your cake to the next level. You can choose to make a simple glaze with powdered sugar and orange juice, or get creative and add some cranberry sauce or zest to the mix.
To make a basic glaze, simply mix powdered sugar and orange juice together until you reach your desired consistency. You can adjust the amount of sugar and juice to make the glaze thicker or thinner. Once your glaze is ready, pour it over the top of your cake, letting it drip down the sides for a beautiful presentation.
When it comes to serving your Orange Cranberry Cake, presentation is key. Choose a beautiful serving plate that will complement the colors of the cake and glaze. A white or silver platter is a classic choice, but you can also go for something more colorful or patterned if you prefer.
If you’re serving your cake for a special occasion, consider using a cake stand to elevate it and make it the centerpiece of your dessert table. You can also add some fresh cranberries or orange slices around the base of the cake for a pop of color.
Finally, don’t forget about glaze sets. If you’re serving your cake at a party or event, consider setting out a small bowl of extra glaze and a spoon so guests can add more to their slices if they want. You can also set out some fresh cranberries or orange zest for guests to sprinkle on top of their cake.
With these final touches, your Orange Cranberry Cake is sure to impress. Enjoy!
Orange Cranberry Cake is a versatile dessert that can be served in a variety of settings. Here are some ideas for serving this delicious cake:
Dessert: Serve Orange Cranberry Cake as a sweet treat after dinner. Top with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special touch.
Breakfast: Start your day off right with a slice of Orange Cranberry Cake. This cake is perfect for a weekend brunch or a special occasion breakfast. Serve with a cup of coffee or tea for a delicious morning treat.
Holiday Party: Orange Cranberry Cake is a festive dessert that is perfect for holiday parties. Serve slices of cake on a platter with a dusting of powdered sugar for a beautiful presentation.
Orange Cranberry Bread: If you have any leftovers, Orange Cranberry Cake can be sliced and toasted for a delicious breakfast or snack. Spread some butter or cream cheese on top for an extra indulgent treat.
Cranberry Orange Scones: Use Orange Cranberry Cake as a base for a delicious scone recipe. Simply crumble the cake into small pieces and add to your favorite scone recipe. This will add a burst of flavor and moisture to your scones.
No matter how you choose to serve Orange Cranberry Cake, it is sure to be a hit. With its bright citrus flavor and tart cranberries, this cake is a crowd-pleaser that is perfect for any occasion.
Storage and Make Ahead Tips
If you want to make Orange Cranberry Cake ahead of time, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure the best results. Here are some tips for storing and making ahead:
- You can store Orange Cranberry Cake at room temperature for up to three days. Make sure to cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out.
- If you want to keep the cake fresh for longer, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from absorbing any odors from the fridge.
- You can also freeze Orange Cranberry Cake for up to three months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. When you’re ready to enjoy it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
- You can make the cake batter ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. When you’re ready to bake the cake, let the batter come to room temperature before pouring it into the pan.
- You can also make the cake ahead of time and freeze it for later. Follow the storage instructions above and freeze the cake once it has cooled completely. When you’re ready to serve it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
- If you want to make the cake even easier to serve, you can slice it into individual portions and wrap them individually in plastic wrap. Then, store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to enjoy a slice, simply take it out of the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Orange Cranberry Cake stays fresh and delicious, whether you’re serving it right away or saving it for later.
Variations of the Recipe
There are many ways to customize an Orange Cranberry Cake recipe to make it your own. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Sugared Cranberries
For an extra burst of sweetness and texture, try adding sugared cranberries to the top of your cake. Simply toss fresh cranberries in sugar syrup, let them dry, and then arrange them on top of your cooled cake. Not only do they add a pop of color, but they also provide a nice contrast to the tart cranberries in the cake.
2. Cream Cheese Frosting
While this cake is delicious on its own, adding a cream cheese frosting takes it to the next level. The tanginess of the cream cheese complements the orange flavor and balances out the sweetness of the cake. You can also add a touch of vanilla extract or orange zest to the frosting for an extra burst of flavor.
3. Greek Yogurt
For a healthier twist, try substituting some of the butter or oil in the recipe with Greek yogurt. This will make the cake more moist and tender while also adding some protein and reducing the overall fat content. You can also use low-fat cream cheese for the frosting to keep things light.
4. Dried Cranberries
If fresh cranberries are not in season or not available, you can use dried cranberries instead. Just be sure to soak them in hot water for a few minutes to plump them up before adding them to the batter. You can also chop them up into smaller pieces to distribute them more evenly throughout the cake.
5. Bundt Cakes
While this recipe is traditionally made in a bundt pan, you can also try making it in a round or loaf pan for a different look. You can also experiment with different sizes and shapes of bundt pans to create a unique presentation. Just be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.
With these variations and more, you can create a delicious and unique Orange Cranberry Cake that is perfect for any occasion.
When it comes to baking an Orange Cranberry Cake, timing is everything. Here are some key timing details to keep in mind:
The prep time for this cake is relatively short and should only take about 15 minutes. This includes washing and drying the cranberries, preparing the pan, and mixing the batter.
The cook time for this cake will vary depending on the size of the pan you use. A bundt pan will take longer to bake than a round or loaf pan. Generally, the cake will take around 1 hour to bake at 350°F (175°C).
Including prep and cook time, the total time for making an Orange Cranberry Cake is around 2 hours and 30 minutes. This includes cooling time for the cake before serving.
It’s important to keep track of the time while baking this cake to ensure that it doesn’t overcook or undercook. You can use a toothpick or cake tester to check if the cake is done. Insert it into the center of the cake, and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Additionally, you can use a timer to keep track of the time while the cake is in the oven. This will help you to avoid burning or undercooking the cake.
Overall, with careful timing and attention to detail, you can create a delicious Orange Cranberry Cake that is sure to impress your guests.
Special Occasions for Orange Cranberry Cake
Orange Cranberry Cake is a perfect dessert for special occasions, especially during the holiday season. The combination of tangy cranberries and sweet oranges creates a festive flavor that is perfect for Christmas and Thanksgiving.
If you are hosting a holiday party, Orange Cranberry Cake is a great dessert option. The cake is easy to make, and you can decorate it with sugared cranberries or a dusting of powdered sugar to make it look even more festive. Your guests will love the bright flavors and beautiful presentation.
Orange Cranberry Cake is also a great option for a holiday gift. You can bake the cake in a decorative bundt pan and wrap it in festive wrapping paper or a gift bag. Your friends and family will appreciate the thoughtful and delicious gift.
If you are looking for a dessert to serve at your Thanksgiving dinner, Orange Cranberry Cake is a great option. The cake is light and refreshing, which is perfect after a heavy meal. You can serve the cake with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make it even more indulgent.
In conclusion, Orange Cranberry Cake is a versatile dessert that is perfect for special occasions. Whether you are hosting a holiday party, giving a gift, or serving Thanksgiving dinner, this cake is sure to impress. With its bright flavors and beautiful presentation, Orange Cranberry Cake is a dessert that everyone will love.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the recipe for Mary Berry’s cranberry and orange cake?
Mary Berry’s cranberry and orange cake is a classic recipe that’s perfect for the holiday season. To make it, you will need flour, baking powder, butter, sugar, eggs, orange zest, dried cranberries, and orange juice. You can find the full recipe on BBC Good Food.
How do you make a cranberry orange bundt cake?
To make a cranberry orange bundt cake, you will need flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, butter, orange zest, orange juice, dried cranberries, and milk. The exact recipe may vary, but you can find a great recipe on Sally’s Baking Addiction.
What is the secret to making a spongy orange cake?
The secret to making a spongy orange cake is to use the right ingredients and techniques. Be sure to use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour, and to sift the flour before adding it to the batter. Use room temperature butter and eggs, and beat the batter until it’s light and fluffy. Adding sour cream or yogurt to the batter can also help make the cake spongy and moist.
How do you make a cranberry cake with cream cheese frosting?
To make a cranberry cake with cream cheese frosting, you will need flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, butter, orange zest, orange juice, dried cranberries, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and heavy cream. The exact recipe may vary, but you can find a great recipe on Allrecipes.
What is the role of sour cream in cake baking?
Sour cream is a common ingredient in cake baking because it adds moisture and tanginess to the cake. It also helps activate the baking soda in the batter, which helps the cake rise and become fluffy. If you don’t have sour cream, you can use yogurt or buttermilk as a substitute.
How long does it take to bake a cake?
The baking time for a cake can vary depending on the recipe and the size of the cake. Most cakes take between 25 and 45 minutes to bake, but larger cakes may take up to an hour. To check if a cake is done, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.